Teachers are Students too

In my four years of teaching one of the hardest concepts I have had to grasp is that to be a teacher, you need to be a student, open to learning new things and information. I thought education ended when my Bachelor's degree was placed in my hands and I smiled for my pictures. I did it. But, I was wrong. Education is the institution, but learning is a life-long building practice, and it must be exercised. 
Last year in mid-November, I chose to take a chance and apply for a education program called the Teachers and Administrators Effectiveness Project, a program that is to help those that are teaching in GDOE schools advance their skills and effectiveness in teaching. I out of many applicants was chosen through a application process, and I feel so grateful because it gave me an opportunity to learn!    

I was able to take classes that can bring me forward in my career, and I knew that if I was to go back into the classroom, I wanted to come back with fresh and purposeful strategies. 

This Summer I have had the privilege to learn about the ever expanding world of technology and applications teachers can use, but most especially about how we can make learning meaningful and fun for students. I found that when I enjoy what I am learning, I want to apply it in many aspects of my teaching, and it makes me want to work harder. 

Isn't that a benefit? Definitely. Did it come to mind when I faced difficulty understanding what to do in the beginning? No. I was in survival mode. That is a feeling I felt not only now, but when I was in middle school like my students I teach at AIJMS. Do they feel they are just learning to get by, or are they learning because hard work and effort can benefit them, even though its hard?

One day, I decided to try golf. My friends invited me to lunch and a spur of the moment activity, going to hit some golf balls at a driving range. I was scared to go, more so because I am clumsy, I know this. Imagine a golf club flying into the air at the driving range. Embarassing. (hands covering my face).


Did that happen? Take a look at this picture. Sure, its a pose, but, I was optimistic! I still felt like I was going to embarass myself, but like a prayer, my good friend Josh, who was in the next booth, turned around and kindly coached me on practicing on hitting the tee, and then putt-ting the ball. After he let me do that a few times, he saw I was getting better and he encouraged me, and taught me how to hold the Driver, and I hit the ball a few times! I actually hit the ball far in the grass, and did not injure anyone in the process! 

He then showed me how to swing and practice that a few times, noting where I could improve and I became more confident. I felt good, and when my swing finally allowed my ball to catch air, I jumped up and down! I was very much a amateur, and luckily it wasn't busy, but I was not afraid to be embarrassing then. I was celebrating my mini victory! That feeling is something I want to help create in my students, but I know it cannot happen unless they believe it in themselves. This feeling would not have been realized unless I put myself in a learner position, was open to taking a risk, and feeling I was supported, it gave me security that I can learn and make an accomplishment out of it. 

Many classes, projects, sleepless nights, and assignments later, I feel like a more confident teacher. I had to learn to get better, but most of all I am reminded that learning never stops; we never know what benefits lie ahead if we don't try. 




 

Comments

  1. Survival is real! But it doesn't have to be permanent. Four!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship and CoVid19