Friendship and CoVid19

 

How To Know If You Should Break Up With A Friend (And How To Do It ...


There has been one thought that stops me in my tracks these few days, and it is friendship. Having a best friend is really special, especially when you grow with the person and they have stuck by you through tough times in your life. 

Lately, due to a new rule to follow during this CoVid19 Pandemic is "social distancing." It has made things in my life harder, and I know I am not the only one. We are all struggling one way or another to maintain connection even though we can call, text, and video chat just by a swipe of a finger. But there is a invisible boundary that forms when one realizes that they are growing apart from a close friend, and when that person is your best friend, your heart breaks a little every time you remember them. Days turn into months, and then half a year, and one looks at their phone on the last message that "was left on read" with no reply. I've asked myself over and over, what must be wrong to instigate this silence, and is my friendship with the person even important to them? I have learned that in order to take away any ill feeling, I must trust my instinct and do what I must do, communicate, but I am affraid. 

When you are feeling broken-hearted about a friend, what are you to do? Do you call the person you are missing? Text them? Video chat with them? How can you regain familiarity with someone whom you have not spoken to, shared your life with, in a long time? Thinking about scenarios of how to approach your best friend with how you feel is like a endless merry-go-round, and its painful. 

But, then merry-go-round stops, you get distracted by the duties you have to do during the day, and the pain feels less and less. I guess we just move forward in our day, accomplish what we need to get done, and attempt to solve this problem later. 

Friendship can be described in dictionary-definition form, but it also has a 50% personal meaning. How do we define friendship? How should a friend or best friend treat us? Overall, my stance on the definition of friendship has been revealed to me at every step of life, what I can, and cannot tolerate. At this older stage of my young adult life, I think if we focus on respect, being kind, and do our best to be present for our friends, that is enough. If we care about our Best Friends well-being, we most certainly have a caring heart. But, if we stay silent about our hurt feelings, we just might not be able move forward with our best friend. Not moving forward with ourselves, especially during this time, calls for us to have courage to take the next step, and drop anything that is holding us back. 

Friendship should not have to be sacrificed during this CoVid19 Pandemic, but it just might have to. Maybe we are meant to focus on our own personal growth, and not the opinion of others. Think of your energy, what you feel is worth fighting for. I want to fight for my best friend, but I cannot help that they make their own choices, and I can't be the only one that is fighting to keep this friendship alive, it should be both of us, together, as best friends should. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teachers are Students too